Wednesday, September 21, 2005

another day at work

Up until today, I hadnt been to the office in quite a while due to the field trips, sick days, and the weekend in between. I finally figured out the route to walk to work from my apartment. Yesterday when we went to the Don Bosco Mela we walked towards where I work and I realized that it would probably take me about 30 minutes to walk there if I wanted to. You guessed it, I took a taxi instead of walking today. Not that that I'm lazy or that I mind walking, it's just too much to take in at that time of day. I'd rather save my patience for other unpredictable events throughout the course of the day.

Right outside of the office, there's an STD/ISD/PCO phone booth. Basically it's a one room operation where you pick up a phone to make your call to wherever and then pay the attendant on your way out. When we first got here everyone would tell us to look for the "STD" signs if we wanted to make a phone call. And we would look at them with a "what did you tell me look for?" expression on our faces. I have yet to figure out what STD stands for...standard phone something? If you ever find out, let me know, I'm still curious. I made a quick call to my relatives in Bangladesh to let them know that I'm doing well and that they shouldnt worry about me. My grandmother picked up and I made the mistake of coughing while I was on the phone. The was the end of the pleasant convo and start of "oh no, are you ok? you're there all by yourself. I'm so worried about you. God knows where you are, in the middle of the jungle somewhere! Did you know that your grandfather was out there in the 1940s...." Wait, I'm in the middle of the jungle? Who told her that! Mumbai might be crazy but its definitely no jungle, far from it. I have definitely not seen any monkeys as of yet. Cows, yes. Monkeys, no. Actually I dont even think I've seen any birds, where are all of the birds in India? Cows, stray cats and dogs, goats, cockroaches, lizards, and ants. Hmm.

Ate at McDonalds in India for the first time. McAloo Tikki (aka a potato patty sandwich) and french fries. There's a Ronald McDonald statue on a bench at the McDonalds that Sherry and I went to, she promised me that we will all take a picture with him before my departure in nine short days. I'm sure we'll cause quite the scene when taking that picture. Ah the joys of being a tourist (if i can call myself that).

The nighttime downpour led us to cancel our evening plans. Another night at home. I started reading A Fine Balance. Excellent so far, from page 1.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be quite funny, taking a picture with Ronald McDonald, people won't think you're America that's for sure!
Watch out for STDs...you should see my face.

Can't believe only 9 days left! Get to work? haha

9/23/2005 12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i read a Fine Balance...

i def wonder what mcds looks like over there...all the stories from people

9/27/2005 12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

STD stands for subscriber trunk dialing ...whatever that means haha all i know is that it means domestic calls

9/29/2005 3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home