Thursday, September 29, 2005

mixed emotions

Everything seems to be taken care of at this point. I've cancelled my cards, ordered new ones, changed my flight to Indiana (which cost me $500!), figured out what ID I can use, had my dad call my new apt complex to tell them that this months rent payment would be rejected since I cancelled my credit card, and have finally reached a state of peace. I think.

The AVSAR assistant program director and I took a ride on the train to Marine Drive to take care of some errands. On the train ride there, two women who looked like men dressed up as women hopped onto the train. The APD automatically got up and walked towards the open door, she said that these men (who really were dressed up as woman) were extremely aggresive about asking for money. They are officially called hijras - men who act and dress like women - some of which have gotten themselves castrated. The two that I saw were both wearing saris, jewelry and had shoulder length hair. The went around the train grabbing peoples arms and touching their heads, basically they harrassed whoever they saw. I was glad that our stop was next, plus the APD got grabbed instead of me so I was thankful for that. I jumped off of the train today, I wasnt so slick because I stumbled for a few seconds afterwards. It was fun though! The APD gave me some pointers on how-to for next time.

Speaking of train rides. Yesterday there were two little girls on the train with tamborines singing beautifuly. Usually we try not to give money to anyone because people end up chasing us for more, but Jo and I couldnt help ourselves so we gave the two little girls some money. Some other people around us were giving too, something that I haven't seen during my time here, so that made us feel like it was okay as well. One more thing about the trains - on any ride, there are a slew of vendors that come through selling veggies, fish, bracelets, hairbands, nuts, you name it. You can basically ride the train on your way home and do all of your shopping!

I had my exit interview with AVSAR today, it was pretty intense. They asked a ton of questions but I'm glad because it helped me wrap up my experience here and really think about what I have learned over the past few weeks.

I cant believe that I am leaving tomorrow night. The month has flown by! For those of you who are in NJ, I'll be home for an extra 1.5 days. Thats the good news out of all of this, I get to spend some time with family and friends before I venture out to the midwest for an extended period of time. I'm not planning on going back to NJ until December (I have a work event then) so I'll be away from home for the longest period of time in my life. Two months, which isnt that long, so I'm sure I'll be ok! Plus, theres so much to do in the midwest, right? Ha ha. I'll figure it out. Ann Arbor, Chicago, resting, fixing my apartment and work will keep me busy for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home